Leave it to Frugal's expert wine buyers to find the highest QPR (quality-price-ratio) wines. We keep our web site updated with our special wine features, but we have hundreds more wines in stock every day, and no one in the area has a better selection.
Staff Favorite in a Box: Prado.
- Here's a new item that quickly became a Staff Favorite after it arrived. Prado Red and Prado White are made by the Quinta do Cerrado winery in the Dao region of Portugal. Red blends Touriga National and Tempranillo (Tinto Roriz). White is a blend of Encruzado, Cercial and Malvasia-Fina grapes.
- Nashville Scene's Chris Chamberlain recently wrote, "It's My Wine in a Box" - Wine Wednesday Column, 1/28/15. "Red is a surprisingly complex wine with lots of red fruit on the nose and dusty tannins on the finish." "White demonstrates some really nice citrus notes that play nicely with food, especially seafood."
- Prado Red or White. 18.99/3-Liter Box. (equivalent to 4-750 ml. bottles)
Beringer Sale 4.99.
- Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. 4.99/750 ml.
- Beringer Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio. 4.99/750 ml.
Spring Forward Wines.
- Charles and Charles Cabernet (68%) Syrah (32%) 2013 is bold, rich and textured but not over the top - it remains wonderfully restrained and focused. Aromatically, there are rich black plum and cherry notes along with smoke, herbs and gravel. From Columbia River AVA: Goose Ridge (48%) brings rich, deep, dark fruit power; Upland Vineyard (28%) delivers black fruit, complexity and minerality; Wahluke Slope AVA (20%) - Clifton Bluff, and Katherine Leone specifically - both bring more power and huge dark fruit; last but not least, Painted Hills vineyard (4%) in the Yakima Valley is quite floral, a bit savory and with loads of gravel notes. 12.99/750 ml.
- Charles and Charles Rosé 2014 displays wild red fruit of strawberry, raspberry and Bing cherry, interwoven with Herbs de Provence and grass, a touch of citrus and an even greater presence of minerality. Blend: Syrah (72%), Mourvedre (8%), Cabernet Sauvignon (8%), Grenache (6%), Cinsault (3%), Counoise (3%). Label by Hatch Show Print, an abstract American Flag in honor of the tremendous wine heritage and current practice right here in our great country. Previous vintages have received great ratings. "Yes, you can drink rosé and still be a bad ass." 12.99/750 ml.
- Bieler Pere et Fils Sabine Coteaux D'Aix-En-Provence Rosé 2014. Winemaker-owner Charles Bieler named this bright, salmon-hued summer classic after his daughter, Sabine. Aromas are driven by wild strawberry and raspberry with underlying notes of Provencal herbs. The palate is dynamic with bright acidity. Lively, young and fun. Blend: 41% Grenache, 38% Syrah, 12% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Cinsault and 4% Rolle. 12.5% ABV. 12.99/750 ml.
- Louis Martini Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon 2013 is just out and yet to be rated, but the 2012 received 88 points from Robert Parker. "This dense wine exhibits lots of black currant and black cherry fruit intertwined with background earth and oak. This medium to full-bodied Cabernet reveals excellent purity as well as lots of flavor intensity." 12.99/750 ml.
- Naked Santa Barbara Chardonnay 2013 was fermented in stainless steel and not put through malolactic fermentation, in order to maintain the natural acid balance. The Chardonnay exhibits crisp apple, white peach, and pear, finishing long with hints of citrus and mineral. 9.99/750 ml.
- Manteo Sonoma Red 2013 offers real depth, balance and rich, fragrant flavors of boysenberries, black cherries, and cassis, aromatic spices redolent of pink peppercorns and anise, and distinctive notes of earthy minerals, tobacco leaves and smoky, toasted oak. The tannins are well-integrated even in their youth and the wine’s lushness leads to a long, expressive finish. Blend: 28% Syrah, 16% Petit Verdot, 16% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Cabernet Franc, 13% Petite Sirah, plus Merlot, Malbec and Zinfandel. 13.5% ABV. 16.99/750 ml.
- Edna Valley Chardonnay 2012 displays an attractive bouquet of quince, pear, ripe apple, apricot and light pineapple, with underlying brown spice notes of cinnamon and clove. A fresh mouthfeel, hints of vanilla and a bright acidity combine to form a long, pleasing finish in this medium-bodied wine. Appellation: San Luis Obispo County. 13.9% ABV. 9.99/750 ml.
- Edna Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 is medium-bodied in a classic style with ripe dark fruit flavors complemented by hints of dusty vanilla, leather, anise and cocoa powder. This wine has a balanced acidity and finishes with fine, firm tannins. This vintage has about seven percent Merlot to soften the palate and enhance the texture of the mouthfeel. Appellation: Paso Robles. 13.8% ABV. 9.99/750 ml.
- Edna Valley Pinot Noir 2013 displays nuances of rose petal, cola, earth and black cherry. This Pinot Noir is medium-bodied with a full mouthfeel, fine tannins and a long finish. Appellation: Edna Valley. 13.9% ABV. 12.99/750 ml.
- Avalon California CAB 2012. Napa Valley is the nexus of finesse. Paso Robles' punishing heat extracts deep character. Lodi's life-giving soils result in bright fruit flavors. When blended in Avalon CAB, these three regions reveal the complexity for which California Cabernet Sauvignon is known. Its aromas of blueberry jam, strawberry tart and boysenberries lead the way to rich black cherries, red raspberries and plums. 9.99/750 ml.
- Mezzacorona Pinot Grigio Magnums 2013 is perfect as the weather warms up, to be enjoyed for its aromatic crisp green apple, mineral and honeysuckle notes. 12.5% ABV. 13.99/1.5 Liter.
- Wedell Cellars Wavertree Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir 2012. The bouquet of Raspberry and Black Cherry are only a hint at what a special wine the 2012 Wavertree Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir is. The wine shows an uncanny balance of new and old world with an elegance on the mid-palate followed by a long savory finish. This Pinot is incredibly balanced between fruit, acidity and alcohol, it is readily enjoyable now and will mature beautifully for years to come. 14.1% ABV. 1200 cases made. 21.99/750 ml.
- Beran Zinfandel 2012 is the first vintage of this label released by Copper Cane, who also produces Meiomi Pinot Noir. A concentrated Zinfandel with deep, rich flavors of blackberry, spice, oak, and black pepper. Full-bodied with a richly textured mouthfeel, it finishes with an expansive array of additional dark raspberry and plum flavors. 19.99/750 ml.
- Peirano Estate's The Other 2012 displays aromas of blackberries and plums complemented by spice, toasty oak and cedar notes. Upon washing this liquid across the palate, a wave of sweet black cherries and boysenberries, with a hint of smoky, dark oak lead to a long, totally seductive, finish. 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot, 10% Syrah, Lodi estate fruit. 13.8% ABV. 10.99/750 ml.
- Mark West Pinot Noir 2013 displays a pleasing mix of black cherry, cola, strawberry, plum and soft tannins. Sale price. 9.99/750 ml.
- Rock Wall Rock Hound Red 2013 was made by Shauna Rosenblum, of urban winery Rock Wall. Her father Kent is CEO of this new chapter in the East Bay winemaking scene. Aromas of Girl scout Samoa cookies (you know-the coconut ones), raspberry jam and fresh blackberries enthusiastically meet one's nose followed by yummy flavors of juicy cherry, chocolate covered strawberry, black tea, and sage. 14.3% ABV. 13.99/750 ml.
- Wish North Coast Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 displays black currant, red currant and black cherry fruit. Savory characteristics including tobacco, cedar, mint and espresso backed up with plenty of structure. 13.5% ABV. 9.99/750 ml. Estate fruit, sustainably grown. Save $5.
- Ravenswood Besieged Red Blend 2013 is a blend of Petite Sirah, Carignane, Zinfandel, Syrah, Barbera, Alicante Bouschet and Mourvedre. Sourced from vineyards in Alexander Valley, Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma Valley, Russian River Valley, Knights Valley and Sonoma Mountain. Red-black in color. Rich, robust, and round fruit flavors of blackberry, black cherry, and plum spiced with cardamom. The finish is smooth and satisfying. 14.5% ABV. 15.99/750 ml.
- Ravenswood mail-in rebate available. Save up to $10. Details on hang tag available in store. All Ravenswood 750 ml size bottles included.
- Ravenswood Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel 2013 explodes with blueberries, black plums, vanilla, and cocoa. Lush and mouthfilling, with incredibly silky tannins that slide into a long, flavorful finish. 77% Zinfandel, 23% Petite Sirah. 12-18 months French oak barrels, 30% new. 14.5% ABV. 11.99/750 ml.
- Layer Cake Mendoza Malbec 2013, California Cabernet Sauvignon 2012, or Australia Shiraz 2013. 13.99/750 ml.
- Malbec is a classic, but undoubtedly Layer Cake. Big, brooding, black fruit, then rich earth, truffles and dark cocoa are at the front. The Sea of Stones vineyard is at its core, always evident with the thread of minerality that the deep alluvial cobblestones lend. This wine is so elegant in the mouth with fresh-picked blackberries, simmering chocolate sauce on the stove, and somewhere someone's cooking bacon.
- Cabernet Sauvignon is made with grapes from two main vineyards; one in Sonoma County's Alexander Valley and one in sunny Paso Robles. The wine jumps from the glass with aromas of ripe Bing cherries and blackberries plus cedar and dark, rich layers of maduro tobacco. Deep flavors of spice-infused plums, toasty oak, and espresso fill the mouth, with a rich, creamy layered texture, and powerful structure. Flavors of chocolate and black currant continue through the long, lingering finish. 100% Cab. French oak, 30% new. 13.5% ABV.
- Shiraz has aromas of cocoa, warm spice and dark fruit that are very powerful from the first whiff. In the mouth, the wine is layered with rich blackberry, dark cherries and hints of dark, creamy chocolate ganache. The finish lingers on, hanging on your palette while the fruit and spice flavors slowly change and fade.
- Underwood Oregon Pinot Noir 2013 draws from vineyards across Oregon. Each site adds its unique mark to the final blend, which highlights the rich juicy flavors of Oregon Pinot at an extraordinary price. Tasting Notes: Cherry, blackberry and cola. Wine Enthusiast says "Underwood is fast-becoming one of Oregon's best values in Pinot Noir." 13 ABV. 13.99/750 ml.
Kosher Wines from Israel.
- Tishbi Kosher Wines from Israel. A balance of youth and vitality, this series includes fresh wines harvested primarily from Estate vineyards. The Tishbi Series wines are young, quality wines that complement light summer time meals of salads, cheese assortments, pasta and poultry, or serve as an aperitif. With numerous "Best" editor recommendations, these wines reflect Jonathan Tishbi's commitment to producing quality wines at affordable prices. 16.99/750 ml.
- Select from Cabernet Syrah 2013, Chenin Blanc 2013, and Emerald Riesling 2013.
- Hermon Kosher Wines from Golan Heights Winery in Israel. Since it was founded in 1983, Golan Heights Winery has played a significant role in developing and nurturing Israel's wine culture. Golan Heights Winery also produces the Gilgal label (below).
- Select from Galilee Moscato 2014, Red Blend 2013, and White Blend 2013. 14.99/750 ml.
- Gilgal Chardonnay 2012 presents bright tropical fruit characters balanced out with lemon, floral and spice notes and a hint of oak. This medium-bodied Chardonnay balances nice refreshment with good flavor concentration. 13% ABV. 14.99/750 ml.
Jacob's Creek Australian Magnum Sale 12.99.
- Jacob's Creek wines from Australia are excellent values, providing fruit-forward classic varietal wines for the price. Now an even better value at this Magnum size low price, just 12.99 each.
- Jacob's Creek Cabernet Sauvignon 2011. 12.99/1.5 Liters.
- Jacob's Creek Chardonnay 2013. 12.99/1.5 Liters.
- Jacob's Creek Merlot 2013. 12.99/1.5 Liters.
- Jacob's Creek Shiraz 2012. 12.99/1.5 Liters.
Jack's 2015 ZAP Pick.
- Zin-Phomaniac Reserve Sonoma Zinfandel 2012 exudes aromas of tobacco, cola, plum and clove. Wild raspberry, plum, cherry and molasses flavors are complemented by white pepper, anise and clove flavors on the spicy lingering finish. Grapes were sourced from Russian River, Sonoma, Dry Creek and Alexander Valley vineyards, 20 to 75-year old vines. 14.6% ABV. Only 1,203 cases made. 18.99/750 ml.
- ZAP, or Zinfandel Advocates and Producers, recently held it's annual Zinfandel Experience in San Francisco, January 31st. Our own wine guy Jack was there again this year, tasting through selections provided by well over 100 Zinfandel producers. This Reserve Zinfandel from Zin-Phomaniac really stood out as particularly worthy, and now available here.