Leave it to Frugal's expert wine buyers to find the highest QPR (quality-price-ratio) wines. We keep our web site updated with our special wine features, but we have hundreds more wines in stock every day, and no one in the area has a better selection.
Delicious Organic Red from Sicily, Under $10.
- NDA2 Nero d'Avola is spicy and fruity with notes of blackberry and mulberry. The wine variety is 100% Nero d'Avola, grown organically in western Sicily. 12.5% ABV. Pair with eggplant Parmigiana, red roasted meat or also fish like tuna or swordfish. $9.99/750 ml.
October Wine Ideas.
- Casillero Del Diablo translates to the cellar of the devil, and how appropriate for Halloween-themed wine enjoyment. The wines are from Concha y Toro in Chile and all varieties are seriously good examples of their grape.
- Casillero Del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 displays notes of cherries, black currants and plums with wood that provides subtle hints of toast. This wine has a medium body and firm yet silky tannins and a long lingering finish. $8.99/750 ml.
- Casillero Del Diablo Sauvignon Blanc, Red Blend and Merlot also on sale. $8.99/750 ml.
- Cryptic California Red Blend 2011 is exotic, bold and beautiful. Complex, supple, and seductive with dark red cherry, blackberry and blueberry flavors, notes of toasted hazelnuts and a hint of vanilla on the finish. Its subtle toasty notes and ripe fruit flavors will be enhanced when paired with roasted or grilled meats, hearty pasta dishes or wood-fire oven pizzas. Blend: 45% Zinfandel, 25% Petite Sirah, 23% Bordeaux Varietals (Cabernet and Merlot), 7% Other Red Varietals. $12.99/750 ml.
- 7 Deadly Zins 2011 is loaded with deep red fruit and spice, a lot of flavor for the money. It's full bodied with abundant berry fruit, pepper and spice notes; seductive, full throttle, truly a classic. 15% ABV. 88 points Robert Parker. $15.99/750 ml.
- Freakshow Cabernet 2012 has more of everything, more depth, more ripe fruit, more pizazz. It's huge but nicely balanced with fruit (pomegranate) and oak (showing some smoke). 14.5% ABV. $19.99/750 ml.
- Petite Petit is another very large wine from Michael-David. Offering a joyous explosion of color and fun, it is a substantial, dense, full-bodied, whopper style of wine loaded with pure black fruit and vanilla flavors that coat the palate. It reveals remarkable richness with a finish that is slightly dry and seems to linger. Blend: 85% Petite Sirah, 15% Petit Verdot. 14.5% ABV. $16.99/750 ml.
J. Lohr: Estate-Grown, Family-Made, Sustainable Wines at a great price.
- J. Lohr Riverstone Monterey Chardonnay 2013 displays aromas of ripe comice pear, melon, meyer lemon and brioche coalesce with notes of roasted hazelnut, flint, spice and toasty oak. Flavors of pom fruits, mineral and sabayon end with a lingering toasty oak finish. Barrel fermentation with sur-lie aging adds layers of creamy palate weight, depth and aromatic complexity. 13.9% ABV. $11.99/750 ml.
- J. Lohr Seven Oaks Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 displays fruit aromas of black cherry, plum and blueberry accented with a barrel bouquet of toasted pastry, dark caramel and vanilla. Sturdy tannins strike the palate and finish with the high-toned fruit signature typical of the Paso Robles appellation. 13.8% ABV. $14.99/750 ml.
Robert Parker's 92-point Malbec under $25.
- Chakana Jaguar Malbec 2012 received a 92 point rating from reviewer Robert Parker, saying the wine "exhibits a dense, saturated ruby/purple color along with a sweet perfume of charcoal, white chocolate, blueberries and blackberries intermixed with hints of forest floor and spring flowers. A wine of delicacy, suppleness and full-bodied power as well as tremendous harmony and purity, it will provide pleasure over the next 7-8 years." It's going very fast at it's price point. $24.99/750 ml.
Nashville's Best Wine Buys.
- Chateau De Lancyre Rosé 2012 is from the Pic Saint-Loup district in Languedoc and is a blend of 50% Syrah, 40% Grenache and 10% Cinsault. This rose is perfect for red wine lovers, offering ripe raspberry aromas as well as hints of garrigue herbs (thyme, lavender, rosemary). It is big, bold and firm on the palate with a clean finish. 13.5% ABV. Imported by Hand Picked Selections. $14.99/750 ml.
- Debauchery Carmenere 2010 has warm aromas of spice, oak and woodland fruits. Its subtle decadence is finished with a pleasant kiss of vanilla and cream, soaking the mouth with a feel that is fresh, silky smooth, rich in fruit and blended with hues of fresh tobacco. This flexible wine goes well with poultry, pasta, creamy cheeses, and even fish! 13.5% ABV. From Maipo Valley, Chile. $9.99/750 ml.
- Debauchery Chardonnay 2010 has aromas of pineapple, mango, passion fruit and tropical fruit with certain floral and citrus notes. A classic pale yellow color with a touch of olive green, this wine is brilliant and luminous. A feel of balance and good body in the mouth, with plenty of fruity notes. It has tremendous fresh fruit flavors, slight sweetness and great acidity. Ideal in accompaniment of rich, oily fish such as smoked salmon or swordfish, it also compliments white poultry meat nicely. From Casablanca Valley, Chile. 14% ABV. $9.99/750 ml.
- Debauchery Pinot Noir 2011 is the newest in the line, sourced from Casablanca Valley, Chile. 13.5% ABV. $9.99/750 ml.
- Braveheart California Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 is a new and big hearty California Cabernet Sauvignon, from The Wine Group who also produces Cupcake Wines. This wine has taken medals in the San Francisco International Wine Competition and Critics Challenge, scoring 90 points. $12.99/750 ml.
- Carnivor Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 is big and bold in style. The deep, inky color alludes to its rich dark fruit layers. Notes of espresso, toasted oak and chocolate give the sturdy mid-palate an edgy undertone. A plush, velvety mouthfeel creates a refined smoothness that leads the way to a long, silky finish. $10.99/750 ml.
- Rooiberg Winery Chardonnay 2010 is a vibrant and elegant Chardonnay from South Africa. Gently aged with French oak staves, it reveals lilting peach blossom and pear-drop aromas, with fresh apple and citrus notes and lingering buttery tones on the aftertaste. 13.9% ABV. $9.99/750 ml.
- Boxhead South Australia Shiraz 2012 drinks well above its price point. A bit of Barossa fruit was tossed in to fatten it up a bit. This is balanced by some cool fruit from Langhorne Creek along with the cocoa-chile powder notes from the Vale and the result is a balanced, elegant Shiraz for downing a second bottle. A portion underwent malolactic fermentation and maturation in seasoned French puncheon while the remainder was aged in stainless. Floral, fragrant and fresh on the nose, displaying dark berry and oak spice aromas. Zesty blackberry and bitter cherry flavors show good clarity and lift thanks to juicy acidity. Deepens on the persistent finish, featuring peppery spice, vanilla and violet pastille notes. $12.99/750 ml.
- Jacob-Heims Ürziger Würzgarten Spätlese 2010 is a captivating late harvest Riesling from one of Germany's premier vineyard sites. Urzig's legendary Wurzgarten (Spice Garden) vineyard is a south to south-west-facing sweep of hillside between the Erden and Urzig townships. Its blazing red color is due to the high iron oxide content of the slate soil. This unique terroir makes this wine a delight, imparting exotic, spicy aromas and a mesmerizing earthiness to the tropical fruit, pear and citrus flavors that burst forth. 9% ABV. $17.99/750 ml.
- Jacob-Heims Old Vines Kabinett 2012 is light and delicate with floral nuances in the nose followed by clean and crisp mouth full of peaches and pears with honey. This German Riesling was picked early in the harvest capturing its youthfulness. $15.99/750 ml.
- Montebuena Rioja Cuvee KPF 2010 delivers ripe cherry and blackcurrant on the nose and in the mouth. Pliant and seamless in texture, with good heft and back-end energy. Finishes smooth and sweet, with fine-grained tannins providing shape and grip. - 90 points Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar. $price/750 ml.
- Kim Crawford Unoaked Chardonnay 2013 displays aromas of ripe tropical fruits -pineapple and ripe melon - with hints of butterscotch. On the tongue, this is an approachable and full-bodied Chardonnay that shows great length and persistence. Ripe stone fruit, butterscotch, and citrus characters show through well, in a style uncluttered by oak. $12.99/750 ml.
- Chandon Blanc De Noirs Limited Edition is back for a third sparkling season. Inspired by hot summers spent near cool waters, it is filled with fruit-forward and refreshing Chandon Blanc de Noirs. This Blanc de Noirs is marked by cherry, currant and strawberry aromas and flavors. These red fruit flavors build in the mid-palate and finish with a soft, lingering creamy texture. The versatility of Blanc de Noirs makes it easy to pair with everything from spicy enchiladas and grilled chicken with chimichurri sauce to sushi and shrimp salad. $15.99/750 ml.
- Elk Cove Vineyards Willamette Pinot Gris 2013 displays tangerine and pineapple on the nose, this wine gives a punch of fresh peach, ripe pear and a hint of anise on the palate. With a mouth-coating viscosity and a lush lingering finish, this is a serious white wine. 91 Points, Editor's Choice in Wine Enthusiast. Top Pinot Gris in Wine Press Northwest blind tasting. Elk Cove Vineyards was founded in 1974 by Pat and Joe Campbell. Winemaker Adam Campbell joined forces with his parents in 1995 and Elk Cove remains proudly family owned. $15.99/750 ml.
- Honig Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2013 is a crisp, fresh Sauvignon Blanc created in the classic Honig style. Peach, lemon grass, hints of jasmine and pea shoot are balanced by grapefruit and lime. Medium bodied, with a bright, lingering finish. This Sauvignon Blanc is primarily sourced from Honig's sustainably farmed Rutherford vineyard. $15.99/750 ml.
- J Winery Pinot Gris 2013 offers a delightful bouquet of pear, Meyer lemon and tropical/pineapple fruit. The lush mouthfeel bursts with flavors of ripe pear and sweet orange blossom honey, then finishes with a distinct minerality. A swath of lemon-lime on the palate highlights the fruit and acid. A perfect sipper when entertaining with friends, this wine's balanced acidity make it a great accompaniment to a variety of foods from traditional coconut Thai soup to pan seared sea scallops with avocado puree. $12.99/750 ml.
- J Winery Russian River Vin Gris 2013 is pink-hued and features aromas of red cherry, strawberry and a perfumed bouquet of fresh cut flowers. The palate offers tart cherry, wild strawberry, rose petals and clean, crisp acidity. This pretty wine will pair elegantly with spinach salad topped with pecans and strawberries, watermelon gazpacho, and barbecued oysters with chipotle butter. $18.99/750 ml.
- Dornier Cocoa Hill Red 2011 is a youthful yet refined blend of Merlot (48%), Shiraz (42%), Cabernet Sauvignon (8%) and Petit Verdot (2%) which grows in the decomposed red granite soils of Cocoa Hill – a hilltop in the folds of the Stellenbosch Mountain, superbly positioned in prime South African terroir. The wine shows bright fruits on the nose with hints of spice, licorice and clove. The palate shows smooth pure fruit with refined notes of raspberries, cherries and plum. The palate is full, fresh and lively with a dense yet very supple tannin structure and a well-balanced, integrated acidity leaving a persisting finish. 14.5% ABV. $11.99/750 ml.
- Tinedo Cala No. 1 2009 is a blend of Tempranillo, Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon from the Tinedo Estate south of Madrid. The nose is expressive and well defined with flower, cherry, and strawberry aromas as well a light hint of balsamic notes, chocolate and spices (licorice). On the tongue, this is a bold wine with balanced tannins. Aged 12 months in concrete tanks. 14.5% ABV. $12.99/750 ml.
- Wine by Joe Oregon Pinot Noir 2012 is a complex and well-balanced Pinot with mouthwatering aromas of blackberry and a touch of leather. This wine slips into your mouth with juicy, lip-smacking flavors that mirror the aromas. It is balanced by vivacious acidity and a soft and velvety mouth feel, which wraps around your tongue to deliver the impression of sweetness from the soft ripe tannins. $14.99/750 ml.
- Cristia Grenache 2012 is a light, friendly, bistro-style wine, with tasty pepper, lavender and cherry notes that hang nicely through the finish. 100% Grenache made from organically grown grapes grown in the chalk and clay soils directly across from Chateauneuf-du-Pape. The average age of the vines for this cuvee is 35 years. 14% ABV. $12.99/750 ml.
- Chevalier Famaey Côtes Du Lot Malbec Rosé 2013 is a delicious fruity dry rose from the Lot Valley in France, an area well known for Malbec production. The wine is vinified in stainless steel. Aromas of grapefruit and red berries are enticing. On the palate, the wine is supple, round and very fruity with a long finish and a good balance. $10.99/750 ml.
- Chateau Peyruchet Bordeaux Sauvignon Blanc 2011 has 15% Semillon blended in, resulting in a dry, fresh and fruity white Bordeaux at a great price. Excellent sushi wine. The winery has been owned by the same family since the 1920's. $12.99/750 ml.
- Bradgate Sauvignon Blanc Chenin Blanc 2010 is made by Gary and Kathy Jordan from grapes grown in the Stellenbosch region of South Africa. The blend is 77% Sauvignon Blanc and 23% Chenin Blanc. The ripe, green fig intensity of Sauvignon Blanc complements the tropical pear flavors of Chenin Blanc. 13.5% ABV. $12.99/750 ml.
- Cannonball Sonoma Merlot 2011 displays aromas of pomegranate, fresh fig, cocoa and sweet earth. This Merlot is full-bodied, with refined structure and a velvety texture guiding the palate to a long lingering finish of raspberry and dark chocolate. $13.99/750 ml.
- Haraszthy Family Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel 2012 is medium bodied, beautifully balanced and displays red and black fruit aromas. Blackberry, raspberry and cherry flavors are complemented by the attractive texture of the tannins. This wine is an excellent complement to grilled meats, fish, or chicken dishes. 13.8% ABV. $12.99/750 ml.
- Perseverance Old Vine Zinfandel 2012 displays plenty of plum, black cherry and spice flavors, owing to the old age and reduced concentrated yields of the vines. Mocha latte, toasted marshmallow, sweetened cranberry and white pepper aromas and flavors bring it all together. These Lodi vines, ranging in age back to the end of the 19th century, have persevered through changing tastes in wine, prohibition, and two waves of phylloxera, and we're very glad they did. $16.99/750 ml.
- Terre Des Oliviers Côtes De Provence Rosé 2013 is the essential lunchtime, seaside, and all-occasion wine; fresh, crisp, bright, and dry. Particularly in the coastal Provence region, the heart of the world's dry rosé production where this wine originates, a passion for dry pink permeates the culture. $13.99/750 ml.
- Gabriel Meffre Terres De Galets Côtees Du Rhône 2013 is a blend of 60% Grenache, 30% Syrah and 10% Mourvedre. The bouquet is enticing with hints of ripe red fruits and spice notes. Velvety red wine with generous red and black berry flavors. This wine is round and full bodied with a spicy finish. 91 Points Wine & Spirits Guild of America. $12.99/750 ml.
- Ponte Di Florentia Orvieto Classico 2012 is medium bodied with a persistent bouquet and a classic finish. It's suitable with appetizers, fish and lighter meals, as well as by itself. Orvieto is primarily known for white wines made from a blend of mostly Grechetto and Trebbiano grapes. 12% ABV. Light and refreshing at a very refreshing price! $7.99/750 ml.
- El Jamon Tempranillo 2012 is an easy drinking fruit driven wine, bursting with ripe berry and plum fruit with savory undertones. Soft and round on the palate with easy tannins for youthful consumption with lingering red fruit flavors. 100% Tempranillo from Cariñena Spain. $9.99/750 ml.
Alias Cab Named Top 10 Wine Under $10.
- Alias succeeds in delivering "Best Buys" with surprisingly good wine for the price. Wine Enthusiast Magazine called the 2012 Cab one of their "Top 10 Wines Under $10".
- Alias 2013 California Wines $8.99/750 ml.
- Cabernet Sauvignon is big, with a plethora of dark fruit and a smooth texture. The nose starts with more tea and tobacco, but as it opens up, the big, dark fruit and cocoa notes rise up. Blackberry, dried cherry, and chocolate are dominant on the palate. The combination of French and American oak adds vanilla, toast and toffee notes, but the wood component is subtle. Then the eucalyptus and violets linger on the end. The finish lasts forever with a wonderful cherry-blackberry pie character.
- Chardonnay displays aromas of lemons, peaches, banana, tropical fruits, creaminess, a hint of coconut and vanilla oak. All those great citrus and tropical fruit characters come together in a creamy, crisp, lushness on the tongue. Just enough oak and malolactic fermentation. 13.6% ABV.
- Secret Agent Red is a blend of 40% Zinfandel, 28% Merlot, 27% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Syrah. The textures are smooth and enjoyable without heavy tannins or heat. The Cab give a great hit upfront. The Zin and Syrah expand the mid-palate. The Merlot adds a smooth, long finish. Floral aromas of dusty rose petals and violets balance beautifully with the plum and strawberry notes. The floral and fruit balance is consistent on the palate with plum, strawberry, and bright fruit flavors with strong notes of rose water, squash blossom, and earth. 13.7% ABV.
South African Quality/Price Standouts.
- Cederberg Shiraz 2009 displays aromas of earth, black plums, and currants. Flavors of scorched earth, olives, wild blackberries and touches of smoke tempt the palate. This elegant and harmonious wine has subtle tannins and an understated acidity while still maintaining balanced structure. Medium-plus in body, the finish brings more black fruit wrapped around mocha flavors. The grapes for this wine come from sustainably-farmed vineyards. $16.99/750 ml.
- Cederberg Bukettraube 2013 is an explosion of aroma and flavor, not to mention an endangered species. It has prominent muscat flavors with apricot and floral notes on the nose. A well balanced wine with a delicate sweetness and a crisp acidity. 12.7% ABV. Bukettraube is a rare cultivar with less than 200 acres remaining in the world. $13.99/750 ml.
- Cederberg Chenin Blanc 2013 offers beautiful layers of melon, grapefruit and fleshy white pear. Five months lees contact ensured a mouth coating creaminess on the palate with a lively crisp acidity to finish off. Altitude vineyards make this Chenin Blanc truly unique. 12.8% ABV. $13.99/750 ml.
- Fairvalley Chenin Blanc 2013 offers tropical aromas of pineapple and peach with a refreshing acidity. It's well-rounded on the palate with a hint of spice on the finish. Enjoy with seared tune or spicy Asian cuisine or right by itself. 13.5% ABV. $8.99/750 ml.
- Fairvalley Pinotage 2012 asserts itself with smoky notes and intense dark fruit aromas, framed by oak spice. The palate is medium bodied, and shows typical aromas of dark coffee and vanilla. There are well balanced tannins and lingering flavors of spice vanilla on the finish. 14% ABV. If you aren't familiar with Pinotage, it's a red wine grape that is South Africa's signature variety. It was bred there in 1925 as a cross between Pinot noir and Cinsaut, resulting in smoky, earthy, fruity aromas and flavors. Pinotage is delicious with barbecue. $8.99/750 ml.
Leese-Fitch Sale Under $10.
- Leese-Fitch California Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 starts off with aromas of blackberry cobbler, cassis, sandalwood, and herbs du provence. The flavors burst from the glass with notes of dark cherry, sweet leather, black currants, and toasted cardamom finishing with a hint of spearmint, dried fig, and toasty vanilla notes from a combo of French and American oak. A skillful blend of 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Petit Verdot plus four other varietals, from Lodi, Paso Robles and three other regions. $9.99/750 ml.
- Leese-Fitch California Chardonnay 2013 is medium-bodied, intensely golden in color, and exudes aromas of tangerine, citrus, pineapple and green apple. The flavors are in sync and crisp with the notable presence of both orange and peach. The finish on this Chardonnay is exceptionally smooth and balanced, which makes it a wine that is easy to enjoy. $9.99/750 ml.
Treat Yourself to Cupcakes $8.99.
- Cupcake California Red Velvet 2012 delivers over-the-top aromas of chocolate, deep dark blackberries and luscious red fruits that follow through to the palate. Finish with a hint of coconut and creamy mocha that shows unmistakable intensity and length. Red Velvet combines Zinfandel, Merlot, and Petite Sirah. 13.5% ABV. $8.99/750 ml.
- Cupcake Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2013 exhibits complexity and a vibrant zing. Flavors of Meyer lemons and Key limes integrate with hints of grapefruit, gooseberry and citrus, culminating in a long, creamy finish. 13% ABV. $8.99/750 ml.
Under $15 Tuscan Sensation.
- I Veroni Elacaia Rosso Di Toscana 2012 exemplifies finesse, soft and lush. The Sangiovese is the star here, smooth as silk with fresh raspberry flavors leading the way. A supple earthiness and spice backbone round out the wine, maintaining a great balance. There's an Old World charm to the wine, but the soft fruitiness of the Merlot keeps it soft and gentle. The finish reveals a welcomed hint of oakiness that wraps this wine up like a gift. (92 points, Wine and Spirits Guild of America). It could become your favorite pasta or pizza wine. $14.99/750 ml.
- Qualifies for 10% off on a solid case of 12.
Miranda Lambert's Platinum Chardonnay from Texas.
- Miranda Lambert Platinum Texas Chardonnay has just swept into the store on the heels of the exodus of CMA Festival fans. This wine is produced for Miranda by Red 55 Winery, just north of Tyler. If you haven't tried Texas wine, give this one a shot. Too fresh to be rated, but you got to have this Chardonnay! $19.99/750 ml.