Leave it to Frugal's expert wine buyers to find the highest QPR (quality-price-ratio) wines. We keep our web site updated with our special wine features, but we have hundreds more wines in stock every day, and no one in the area has a better selection.
- Avalon California CAB 2012. Napa Valley is the nexus of finesse. Paso Robles' punishing heat extracts deep character. Lodi's life-giving soils result in bright fruit flavors. When blended in Avalon CAB, these three regions reveal the complexity for which California Cabernet Sauvignon is known. Its aromas of blueberry jam, strawberry tart and boysenberries lead the way to rich black cherries, red raspberries and plums. 9.99/750 ml.
- Mezzacorona Pinot Grigio Magnums 2013 is perfect as the weather warms up, to be enjoyed for its aromatic crisp green apple, mineral and honeysuckle notes. 12.5% ABV. 13.99/1.5 Liter.
- Wedell Cellars Wavertree Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir 2012. The bouquet of Raspberry and Black Cherry are only a hint at what a special wine the 2012 Wavertree Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir is. The wine shows an uncanny balance of new and old world with an elegance on the mid-palate followed by a long savory finish. This Pinot is incredibly balanced between fruit, acidity and alcohol, it is readily enjoyable now and will mature beautifully for years to come. 14.1% ABV. 1200 cases made. 21.99/750 ml.
- Beran Zinfandel 2012 is the first vintage of this label released by Copper Cane, who also produces Meiomi Pinot Noir. A concentrated Zinfandel with deep, rich flavors of blackberry, spice, oak, and black pepper. Full-bodied with a richly textured mouthfeel, it finishes with an expansive array of additional dark raspberry and plum flavors. 19.99/750 ml.
- Peirano Estate's The Other 2012 displays aromas of blackberries and plums complemented by spice, toasty oak and cedar notes. Upon washing this liquid across the palate, a wave of sweet black cherries and boysenberries, with a hint of smoky, dark oak lead to a long, totally seductive, finish. 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot, 10% Syrah, Lodi estate fruit. 13.8% ABV. 10.99/750 ml.
- Mark West Pinot Noir 2013 displays a pleasing mix of black cherry, cola, strawberry, plum and soft tannins. Sale price. 9.99/750 ml.
- Rock Wall Rock Hound Red 2013 was made by Shauna Rosenblum, of urban winery Rock Wall. Her father Kent is CEO of this new chapter in the East Bay winemaking scene. Aromas of Girl scout Samoa cookies (you know-the coconut ones), raspberry jam and fresh blackberries enthusiastically meet one's nose followed by yummy flavors of juicy cherry, chocolate covered strawberry, black tea, and sage. 14.3% ABV. 13.99/750 ml.
- Wish North Coast Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 displays black currant, red currant and black cherry fruit. Savory characteristics including tobacco, cedar, mint and espresso backed up with plenty of structure. 13.5% ABV. 9.99/750 ml. Estate fruit, sustainably grown. Save $5.
- Ravenswood Besieged Red Blend 2013 is a blend of Petite Sirah, Carignane, Zinfandel, Syrah, Barbera, Alicante Bouschet and Mourvedre. Sourced from vineyards in Alexander Valley, Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma Valley, Russian River Valley, Knights Valley and Sonoma Mountain. Red-black in color. Rich, robust, and round fruit flavors of blackberry, black cherry, and plum spiced with cardamom. The finish is smooth and satisfying. 14.5% ABV. 15.99/750 ml.
- Ravenswood mail-in rebate available. Save up to $10. Details on hang tag available in store. All Ravenswood 750 ml size bottles included.
- Ravenswood Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel 2013 explodes with blueberries, black plums, vanilla, and cocoa. Lush and mouthfilling, with incredibly silky tannins that slide into a long, flavorful finish. 77% Zinfandel, 23% Petite Sirah. 12-18 months French oak barrels, 30% new. 14.5% ABV. 11.99/750 ml.
- Layer Cake Mendoza Malbec 2013, California Cabernet Sauvignon 2012, or Australia Shiraz 2013. 13.99/750 ml.
- Malbec is a classic, but undoubtedly Layer Cake. Big, brooding, black fruit, then rich earth, truffles and dark cocoa are at the front. The Sea of Stones vineyard is at its core, always evident with the thread of minerality that the deep alluvial cobblestones lend. This wine is so elegant in the mouth with fresh-picked blackberries, simmering chocolate sauce on the stove, and somewhere someone's cooking bacon.
- Cabernet Sauvignon is made with grapes from two main vineyards; one in Sonoma County's Alexander Valley and one in sunny Paso Robles. The wine jumps from the glass with aromas of ripe Bing cherries and blackberries plus cedar and dark, rich layers of maduro tobacco. Deep flavors of spice-infused plums, toasty oak, and espresso fill the mouth, with a rich, creamy layered texture, and powerful structure. Flavors of chocolate and black currant continue through the long, lingering finish. 100% Cab. French oak, 30% new. 13.5% ABV.
- Shiraz has aromas of cocoa, warm spice and dark fruit that are very powerful from the first whiff. In the mouth, the wine is layered with rich blackberry, dark cherries and hints of dark, creamy chocolate ganache. The finish lingers on, hanging on your palette while the fruit and spice flavors slowly change and fade.
- Kris Pinot Grigio 2013 has enticing aromas of acacia flowers, citrus, tangerine, and hints of apricots and almonds. Kris is lean and refreshing on the palate with hints of blossom and honey. 10.99/750 ml.
- Cupcake Chardonnay 2013 is a big, rich wine from California's Central Coast. This Chardonnay has decadent levels of butter, cream, bright citrus and vanilla. 13.5% ABV. 8.99/750 ml.
- Menages a Trois Red 2012 exposes the fresh, ripe, jam like fruit that is the calling card of California wine. Forward, silky and soft, the delicious dalliance of our red wine blend makes the perfect accompaniment for grilled meats or chicken. A blend of Zinfandel, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. 13.8% ABV. 8.99/750 ml.
- The Seven Deadly Zins Lodi Zinfandel 2012 shows explosive, concentrated fruit in the mouth, with plenty of acidity to balance the ripeness. Spice and black berry compote on the finish. Crushed berry, soft oak and cigar box notes create a fragrant appeal that leaves you wanting more. 15% ABV. 15.99/750 ml.
- Federalist Lodi Cabernet Sauvignon 2013 is a revolutionary wine created to honor the man many call the first American, Benjamin Franklin. Aromas of blackberries, blueberries and cinnamon spice follow through in a lush full-bodied wine with a long smooth finish. 14.9% ABV. 15.99/750 ml.
- Federalist Lodi Zinfandel 2013 salutes the first President of the United States, George Washington. Aromas of red fruits (plum, cherry) and cinnamon spice carry through this wine which has good density, supple tannins, bright acidity and a long, smooth finish. 14.9% ABV. 15.99/750 ml.
- The Velvet Devil Merlot 2013 is true to its name, velvetly. Complex and just-so-right flavors, pipe tobacco, bing cherry, dried rose petals with a blend of subtle herbs and spice. The 2012 vintage got 90 points Spectator and 89 points Parker/Advocate. 13.5 ABV. 12.49/750 ml.
- Charles & Charles Washington Cabernet Syrah 2013 is "tightly focused and precisely defined, with dark berry, chocolate and rose petal flavors on a supple frame, lingering easily on the polished finish." - Wine Spectator 90 points. 68% Cab, 32% Syrah. 13.9 ABV. 12.99/750 ml.
- Underwood Oregon Pinot Noir 2013 draws from vineyards across Oregon. Each site adds its unique mark to the final blend, which highlights the rich juicy flavors of Oregon Pinot at an extraordinary price. Tasting Notes: Cherry, blackberry and cola. Wine Enthusiast says "Underwood is fast-becoming one of Oregon's best values in Pinot Noir." 13 ABV. 13.99/750 ml.
- Fetzer California Chardonnay 2013 delivers crisp ripe flavors of apple, pear and tropical fruit that create a classic Chardonnay. A perfect complement to fish, chicken and pork. 4.99/750 ml.
- Bel Arbor Bella Red 2011 displays a robust mingling of cherry, blueberry and plum. It loves whatever you're eating but can happily stand on its own. 4.99/750 ml.
Walla Walla Great Cab.
- Amavi Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 is another outstanding vintage to follow up on the 2011 being named Wine Spectator's #35 in their Top 100 for 2014. This Cab is all estate fruit, sustainably farmed, from Les Collines, Octave, Seven Hills, Summit View, Pepper Bridge and Goff vineyards. "Aromas of sweet oak, blueberry, lilac and lavender lead to rich and smooth flavors of black currant, blueberry and chocolate. There’s some juiciness with pomegranate alongside firm plum skin tannins." - Great NW Wines. 14.5% ABV. Limited, hurry on this one. 25.99/750 ml.
Jacob's Creek Australian Magnum Sale 12.99.
- Jacob's Creek wines from Australia are excellent values, providing fruit-forward classic varietal wines for the price. Now an even better value at this Magnum size low price, just 12.99 each.
- Jacob's Creek Cabernet Sauvignon 2011. 12.99/1.5 Liters.
- Jacob's Creek Chardonnay 2013. 12.99/1.5 Liters.
- Jacob's Creek Merlot 2013. 12.99/1.5 Liters.
- Jacob's Creek Shiraz 2012. 12.99/1.5 Liters.
Jack's 2015 ZAP Pick.
- Zin-Phomaniac Reserve Sonoma Zinfandel 2012 exudes aromas of tobacco, cola, plum and clove. Wild raspberry, plum, cherry and molasses flavors are complemented by white pepper, anise and clove flavors on the spicy lingering finish. Grapes were sourced from Russian River, Sonoma, Dry Creek and Alexander Valley vineyards, 20 to 75-year old vines. 14.6% ABV. Only 1,203 cases made. 18.99/750 ml.
- ZAP, or Zinfandel Advocates and Producers, recently held it's annual Zinfandel Experience in San Francisco, January 31st. Our own wine guy Jack was there again this year, tasting through selections provided by well over 100 Zinfandel producers. This Reserve Zinfandel from Zin-Phomaniac really stood out as particularly worthy, and now available here.