Leave it to Frugal's expert wine buyers to find the highest QPR (quality-price-ratio) wines. We keep our web site updated with our special wine features, but we have hundreds more wines in stock every day, and no one in the area has a better selection.
Beaujolais Nouveau Arrival Under $10.
- Beaujolais officially arrived Thursday Nov. 20th. Celebrate with Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau 2014. $9.99/750 ml.
Cartlidge & Browne Holiday Sale and Mail-In Rebate.
- Cartlidge & Browne sources vineyards across the North Coast AVA. Sourcing from this region gives the flexibility to select only the best lots of Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, and Chardonnay from Napa and Sonoma Counties. A great value under $10. But now, pick up a mail-in rebate form on display and you could receive up to $24 back when you purchase 9 bottles. ($18 on 6 bottles, $7 on 3, or $2 on 1 bottle.) $9.99/750 ml.
- North Coast Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 starts out with rich and delicious red fruits on the nose that flow into to ripe blackberry, watermelon, candied plum and creme brulee. The soft, yet fine, tannins have notes of coffee, rose petals and wet slate.
- North Coast Chardonnay 2012 is French in style with an elegant minerality and complexity combined with the slightest caramel and brown sugar notes. Aromas of a green apples medley and more floral honeysuckle lead to a palate that is both silky and alive. Welcome flavors of honey and baked bread from sur lees aging while maintaining a delicious fruit profile and Meyer lemon cake.
- North Coast Pinot Noir 2013 displays cherry, strawberry and rhubarb notes that define the aromatics of this wine and are backed by hints of cinnamon and oregano. Bright flavors of cherry, raspberry and ripe tomato are balanced by a layer of earthy mushroom. Smooth and silky!. Particularly splendid with salmon.
- North Coast Sauvignon Blanc 2012 is herbaceous and refreshing. Lemongrass and citrusy green apple greets you upon uncorking this lovely wine. Slight mineral tastes and white peach tease your palate and leave you with a smooth, light finish. Delicate in and out of the bottle, but enough structure to let you know it means business.
- North Coast Zinfandel 2011 is approachable and fruit-forward; a sure crowd pleaser. The wine was aged in a 50% split of French and American oak for a year, with about 30% of that new. This allows the Zin to practically burst with aromas of ripe black cherry, a little blueberry, and brown sugar. Rich berry and soft chocolate linger long on the palate, mingling with soft tannins and spice. 85% Zinfandel, 10% Carignane, 5% Petite Sirah. 13.5% ABV.
Holiday Table Wines.
- Christmas at Biltmore 2014 Limited Release White is a semi-sweet white wine, with flavors of apricot, spice and citrus. This winewill be an excellent complement to your favorite holiday dishes. This year's label features art by Terry Owensby of Swannanoa, NC. $10.99/750 ml.
- Chateau Ste. Michelle Columbia Valley Chardonnay 2013 is a fresh, soft style of Chardonnay with bright apple and sweet citrus fruit character with subtle spice and oak nuances. Chardonnay grapes from vineyards throughout Washingtons Columbia Valley are blended to make this a complex, interesting wine. The sur lie aging gives it an appealing softness. 13.5% ABV. $9.99/750 ml. Save $2.
- Columbia Crest Horse Heaven Hills Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 opens with flavors of black cherries and blackberries with a touch of currants and vanilla, complemented by earth and mineral notes. Deep berry flavors lead to a soft tannin cocoa finish. 92 points Wine Spectator. 14% ABV. $13.99/750 ml.
- Loosen Brothers Dr. L Riesling 2013 embodies the elegant and racy characteristics of steep, slate-soil Mosel vineyards at a very reasonable price. It is a bright, vibrant, fruit-driven wine. With its bright fruit, cleansing acidity, low alcohol (just 8.5%) and affordable price, the Dr. L Riesling is the ideal welcome wine for every gathering, and great for just about every course in a meal. A perfect pour for brunch, its flavors complement everything from rich eggs and hollandaise to sweet waffles and salty ham. Itís also excellent with Asian noodle dishes and salad rolls, especially if there is a touch of heat involved. $12.99/750 ml.
- Loosen Brothers Villa Wolf Gewurztraminer 2013 is clean, fruity and wonderfully light on its feet. It shows of f the aromatic charm of the variety without becoming heavy or ponderous. It has a deliciously juicy texture and a delightfully delicate aroma of spice and fresh roses. It is very refreshing to drink on its own and makes a perfect accompaniment to spicy Asian cuisine. $12.99/750 ml.
- Fetzer Shaly Loam Gewurztraminer 2012 is sustainably farmed and solar powered. Clean aromas of tangerine, mango and orange spice join with pineapple, baked pears and hints of cinnamon. Flavors of clove, orange and caramelized apples come to the fore. $8.99/750 ml.
- Tranzind Lodi Old Vine Red 2012 is from Klinker Brick Winery, and is the best under-$20 red blend we've tasted recently. Tranzind is a red wine blend comprised of 75% Old Vine Zinfandel, 10% Petite Sirah, 10% Syrah and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon. Dark fruit aromas coupled with exotic spice, tobacco and chocolate, yield to rich fruit flavors on the palate with medium body and a firm structure. 14.5% ABV. $13.99/750 ml.
- Hay Maker Sauvignon Blanc 2013 is a second label wine from New Zealand's Mud House Winery, and this vintage is excellent as 2013 was a great year throughout New Zealand's Marlborough region. Pure aromas of passion fruit, snow pea and fresh citrus lead to concentrated flavors that fill the front palate while juicy acidity provides freshness and length. $8.99/750 ml.
- Bonny Doon Contra Red Blend 2011 is a charming and refreshing red, offering tiers of juicy berry, plum and raspberry flavors. It maintains a core of fruitiness and ends with a cleansing aftertaste. A blend of 56% Carignane, 28% Mourvedre, 9% Grenache, 6% Syrah and 1% Zinfandel. 13.5% ABV. Only 2256 cases produced. Wine Spectator Daily Wine Pick. $15.99/750 ml.
- Bonny Doon Proper Claret 2012 is lean, neither overly alcoholic (weighing in at 13%), nor overly extracted; it is precisely as one would imagine A Proper Claret to be. The wine contains a substantial dollop of Petit Verdot (22%), which adds a silky note of violets and textural elegance, in precision counterpoint to the lead-in-the-pencil firmness offered by the inclusion of the manly Tannat (8%). There is a lovely suggestion of cedar and mint, in the nose. The wine has medium tannins, nice acidity, and finishes cleanly. 7000 cases produced. $14.99/750 ml.
- La Domeliere Rasteau 2012 is a full-bodied red from near Chateauneuf du Pape, delivering amazing value for the price. Dark cherry notes with plum, boysenberry and grilled herbs on the nose. Big mouth presence and hugely flavorful and lively with pepper and herbal accents. $14.99/750 ml.
- Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc 2013 delivers "flavors of pear, green apple and lemon zest are intense, focused and smooth, with a hint of lime. Culminates in a crisp finish." - Wine Spectator, 89 points. 2013 was a perfect vintage for New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. 12% ABV.$10.99/750 ml.
- The White Doe California White Blend 2013 is a light and refreshing blend of 80% Chenin Blanc and 20% Viognier. Together they create a harmonious marriage of flavors and textures, with Chenin delivering juicy flavors of white grapes, honeydew melon and bright, fresh citrus character, then layered upon Viognier's classic white peach flavors, exquisite floral notes and its nuance of tropical fruit. There is silkiness and weight on the palate from the Viognier, but the finish is light and crisp from this beautiful selection of Chenin Blanc. Fermenting and finishing in stainless steel allowed the purity of the fruit to shine through. 12.6% ABV. $11.99/750 ml.
- Estancia Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 opens with intense dark cherry, blackberry, chocolate, and black currant aromas. Displays great intensity, dense body with good structure, generous mid palate and silky tannins; hints of blackberry and chocolate with a nice lingering finish. $11.99/750 ml.
- Predator Zinfandel 2013 is an intense, full-bodied wine with red fruit, blackberry and spice, and lingering tannins over a long, smoky finish. $13.99/750 ml.
- Le Dome Du Grand Bois Cotes Du Rhone 2013 offers up jammy raspberry and black cherry fruit aromas that are supported by crisp mineral, earth and smoky notes. Medium bodied, this has nice purity, a silky, light texture, nice acidity and a clean, medium length finish. $12.99/750 ml.
- Talbott Kali Hart Estate Chardonnay 2012 is lush and lively. The rich, inviting nose shows bright tropical notes that continue on the palate, where refreshing flavors of pineapple and honeydew are complemented by refreshing acidity. A generous mid-palate leads to a long citrus and tropical fruit finish with hints of French oak and minerality. $16.99/750 ml.
- Valle Perdido Pinot Noir 2010 has an expressive and fruity nose with aromas of cherry, raspberry, and red currants. As you would expect from a cool climate Pinot Noir the palate is light and delicate with the red fruit developing wonderfully. From Patagonia, Argentina. $9.99/750 ml.
- Chateau Tanunda Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 is drinking beautifully now but will continue to improve with cellaring. 90 points Wine Spectator. Lifted aromas of blackcurrant, blackberry and vanilla are accompanied by vibrant, dark berry fruits on the palate. The finish is long with fine-grained tannins from sixteen months maturation in a combination of new and older French oak. 14.5% ABV. $18.99/750 ml.
- Bogle Phantom is something of a cult blend, usually appearing for a short time each year. The 2011 vintage is highly recommended. Provocative dark fruits envelop the nose and palate. Black cherry and anise abound, leading to a sturdy finish of black pepper, pipe tobacco and spicy oak. Aging for over two years in 1 and 2 year old American oak focus and intensify the Zinfandel, Petite Sirah and Mourvedre, creating yet a passionate and commanding red wine. $18.99/750 ml.
- Chateau De Lancyre Rosé 2012 is from the Pic Saint-Loup district in Languedoc and is a blend of 50% Syrah, 40% Grenache and 10% Cinsault. This rose is perfect for red wine lovers, offering ripe raspberry aromas as well as hints of garrigue herbs (thyme, lavender, rosemary). It is big, bold and firm on the palate with a clean finish. 13.5% ABV. Imported by Hand Picked Selections. $14.99/750 ml.
- Debauchery Carmenere 2010 has warm aromas of spice, oak and woodland fruits. Its subtle decadence is finished with a pleasant kiss of vanilla and cream, soaking the mouth with a feel that is fresh, silky smooth, rich in fruit and blended with hues of fresh tobacco. This flexible wine goes well with poultry, pasta, creamy cheeses, and even fish! 13.5% ABV. From Maipo Valley, Chile. $9.99/750 ml.
- Debauchery Chardonnay 2010 has aromas of pineapple, mango, passion fruit and tropical fruit with certain floral and citrus notes. A classic pale yellow color with a touch of olive green, this wine is brilliant and luminous. A feel of balance and good body in the mouth, with plenty of fruity notes. It has tremendous fresh fruit flavors, slight sweetness and great acidity. Ideal in accompaniment of rich, oily fish such as smoked salmon or swordfish, it also compliments white poultry meat nicely. From Casablanca Valley, Chile. 14% ABV. $9.99/750 ml.
- Debauchery Pinot Noir 2011 is the newest in the line, sourced from Casablanca Valley, Chile. 13.5% ABV. $9.99/750 ml.
- Braveheart California Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 is a new and big hearty California Cabernet Sauvignon, from The Wine Group who also produces Cupcake Wines. This wine has taken medals in the San Francisco International Wine Competition and Critics Challenge, scoring 90 points. $12.99/750 ml.
- Carnivor Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 is big and bold in style. The deep, inky color alludes to its rich dark fruit layers. Notes of espresso, toasted oak and chocolate give the sturdy mid-palate an edgy undertone. A plush, velvety mouthfeel creates a refined smoothness that leads the way to a long, silky finish. $10.99/750 ml.
- Jacob-Heims Ürziger Würzgarten Spätlese 2010 is a captivating late harvest Riesling from one of Germany's premier vineyard sites. Urzig's legendary Wurzgarten (Spice Garden) vineyard is a south to south-west-facing sweep of hillside between the Erden and Urzig townships. Its blazing red color is due to the high iron oxide content of the slate soil. This unique terroir makes this wine a delight, imparting exotic, spicy aromas and a mesmerizing earthiness to the tropical fruit, pear and citrus flavors that burst forth. 9% ABV. $17.99/750 ml.
- Jacob-Heims Old Vines Kabinett 2012 is light and delicate with floral nuances in the nose followed by clean and crisp mouth full of peaches and pears with honey. This German Riesling was picked early in the harvest capturing its youthfulness. $15.99/750 ml.
- Chandon Blanc De Noirs Limited Edition is back for a third sparkling season. Inspired by hot summers spent near cool waters, it is filled with fruit-forward and refreshing Chandon Blanc de Noirs. This Blanc de Noirs is marked by cherry, currant and strawberry aromas and flavors. These red fruit flavors build in the mid-palate and finish with a soft, lingering creamy texture. The versatility of Blanc de Noirs makes it easy to pair with everything from spicy enchiladas and grilled chicken with chimichurri sauce to sushi and shrimp salad. $15.99/750 ml.
- Bradgate Sauvignon Blanc Chenin Blanc 2010 is made by Gary and Kathy Jordan from grapes grown in the Stellenbosch region of South Africa. The blend is 77% Sauvignon Blanc and 23% Chenin Blanc. The ripe, green fig intensity of Sauvignon Blanc complements the tropical pear flavors of Chenin Blanc. 13.5% ABV. $12.99/750 ml.
Delicious Organic Red from Sicily, Under $10.
- NDA2 Nero d'Avola is spicy and fruity with notes of blackberry and mulberry. The wine variety is 100% Nero d'Avola, grown organically in western Sicily. 12.5% ABV. Pair with eggplant Parmigiana, red roasted meat or also fish like tuna or swordfish. $9.99/750 ml.
J. Lohr: Estate-Grown, Family-Made, Sustainable Wines at a great price.
- J. Lohr Riverstone Monterey Chardonnay 2013 displays aromas of ripe comice pear, melon, meyer lemon and brioche coalesce with notes of roasted hazelnut, flint, spice and toasty oak. Flavors of pom fruits, mineral and sabayon end with a lingering toasty oak finish. Barrel fermentation with sur-lie aging adds layers of creamy palate weight, depth and aromatic complexity. 13.9% ABV. $11.99/750 ml.
- J. Lohr Seven Oaks Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 displays fruit aromas of black cherry, plum and blueberry accented with a barrel bouquet of toasted pastry, dark caramel and vanilla. Sturdy tannins strike the palate and finish with the high-toned fruit signature typical of the Paso Robles appellation. 13.8% ABV. $14.99/750 ml.
Robert Parker's 92-point Malbec under $25.
- Chakana Jaguar Malbec 2012 received a 92 point rating from reviewer Robert Parker, saying the wine "exhibits a dense, saturated ruby/purple color along with a sweet perfume of charcoal, white chocolate, blueberries and blackberries intermixed with hints of forest floor and spring flowers. A wine of delicacy, suppleness and full-bodied power as well as tremendous harmony and purity, it will provide pleasure over the next 7-8 years." It's going very fast at it's price point. $24.99/750 ml.
South African Quality/Price Standouts.
- Cederberg Shiraz 2009 displays aromas of earth, black plums, and currants. Flavors of scorched earth, olives, wild blackberries and touches of smoke tempt the palate. This elegant and harmonious wine has subtle tannins and an understated acidity while still maintaining balanced structure. Medium-plus in body, the finish brings more black fruit wrapped around mocha flavors. The grapes for this wine come from sustainably-farmed vineyards. $16.99/750 ml.
- Cederberg Bukettraube 2013 is an explosion of aroma and flavor, not to mention an endangered species. It has prominent muscat flavors with apricot and floral notes on the nose. A well balanced wine with a delicate sweetness and a crisp acidity. 12.7% ABV. Bukettraube is a rare cultivar with less than 200 acres remaining in the world. $13.99/750 ml.
- Cederberg Chenin Blanc 2013 offers beautiful layers of melon, grapefruit and fleshy white pear. Five months lees contact ensured a mouth coating creaminess on the palate with a lively crisp acidity to finish off. Altitude vineyards make this Chenin Blanc truly unique. 12.8% ABV. $13.99/750 ml.
- Fairvalley Chenin Blanc 2013 offers tropical aromas of pineapple and peach with a refreshing acidity. It's well-rounded on the palate with a hint of spice on the finish. Enjoy with seared tune or spicy Asian cuisine or right by itself. 13.5% ABV. $8.99/750 ml.
- Fairvalley Pinotage 2012 asserts itself with smoky notes and intense dark fruit aromas, framed by oak spice. The palate is medium bodied, and shows typical aromas of dark coffee and vanilla. There are well balanced tannins and lingering flavors of spice vanilla on the finish. 14% ABV. If you aren't familiar with Pinotage, it's a red wine grape that is South Africa's signature variety. It was bred there in 1925 as a cross between Pinot noir and Cinsaut, resulting in smoky, earthy, fruity aromas and flavors. Pinotage is delicious with barbecue. $8.99/750 ml.
Leese-Fitch Sale Under $10.
- Leese-Fitch California Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 starts off with aromas of blackberry cobbler, cassis, sandalwood, and herbs du provence. The flavors burst from the glass with notes of dark cherry, sweet leather, black currants, and toasted cardamom finishing with a hint of spearmint, dried fig, and toasty vanilla notes from a combo of French and American oak. A skillful blend of 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Petit Verdot plus four other varietals, from Lodi, Paso Robles and three other regions. $9.99/750 ml.
- Leese-Fitch California Chardonnay 2013 is medium-bodied, intensely golden in color, and exudes aromas of tangerine, citrus, pineapple and green apple. The flavors are in sync and crisp with the notable presence of both orange and peach. The finish on this Chardonnay is exceptionally smooth and balanced, which makes it a wine that is easy to enjoy. $9.99/750 ml.
Under $15 Tuscan Sensation.
- I Veroni Elacaia Rosso Di Toscana 2012 exemplifies finesse, soft and lush. The Sangiovese is the star here, smooth as silk with fresh raspberry flavors leading the way. A supple earthiness and spice backbone round out the wine, maintaining a great balance. There's an Old World charm to the wine, but the soft fruitiness of the Merlot keeps it soft and gentle. The finish reveals a welcomed hint of oakiness that wraps this wine up like a gift. (92 points, Wine and Spirits Guild of America). It could become your favorite pasta or pizza wine. $14.99/750 ml.
- Qualifies for 10% off on a solid case of 12.
Miranda Lambert's Platinum Chardonnay from Texas.
- Miranda Lambert Platinum Texas Chardonnay has just swept into the store on the heels of the exodus of CMA Festival fans. This wine is produced for Miranda by Red 55 Winery, just north of Tyler. If you haven't tried Texas wine, give this one a shot. Too fresh to be rated, but you got to have this Chardonnay! $19.99/750 ml.